1kg (about 8) skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
¼ cup (80ml) hickory barbecue sauce (we used Sweet Baby Ray’s brand)
6 middle bacon rashers, rind removed
¼ each red cabbage and Chinese cabbage (wombok), thinly shredded (we used a mandoline)
2 carrots, shredded
½ bunch radishes, thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
½ bunch coriander, leaves picked
Fried Asian shallots, to serve
sweet and sour mayo
½ cup (150ml) Japanese mayonnaise
2 tbs char siu sauce
Juice of ½ a lemon
1 tsp fish sauce (optional)
- Combine chicken and barbecue sauce in a bowl, cover and marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes, then thread onto skewers.
- Heat a barbecue or chargrill pan to medium heat. Grill chicken for 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through, then transfer to a plate, loosely covered with foil, and set aside.
- Grill bacon for 2 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy, then set aside to cool and drain on a plate lined with a paper towel. Once cool enough to handle, tear into bite-sized pieces.
- For the sweet and sour mayo, combine all ingredients, including fish sauce, if using, in a bowl and season. Add bacon, red and Chinese cabbage, carrot, radish, and coriander, and toss to combine.
- Divide chicken skewers among serving plates. Scatter with fried shallots and serve with slaw.