2 cups self-raising flour
130g butter, chopped
1 large spring onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mixed herbs (see note)
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Using fingertips, rub 30g butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in onion. Make a well in the centre. Add buttermilk. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until mixture forms a soft dough, adding more buttermilk if necessary. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until just smooth (don’t over-knead dough).
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions. Roll 1 portion into a 25cm-long log shape. Wrap dough around 1 skewer, pressing gently to secure. Repeat with remaining dough and skewers.
- Heat a barbecue grill with hood on medium heat. Cook, with hood down, for 4 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through.
- Melt remaining butter in a small frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add garlic and herbs. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Serve warm dampers drizzled with herb butter mixture.