1 tbs extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
1 tsp each toasted fennel seeds, smoked paprika, cumin, onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs Malfroy’s Gold honey
5cm piece (25g) ginger, peeled, grated
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1.4kg whole chicken, butterflied
1 iceberg lettuce, cut into 8 small wedges
2/3 cup (200g) mayonnaise
1 tbs condensed milk
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Combine the oil, dry spices, soy sauce, honey, ginger, chilli and 1 tsp salt flakes in a large bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat well. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or, if time permits, overnight.
- For the salad cream place all the ingredients in a bowl with 1 tsp salt flakes and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a chargrill pan to medium-high, and preheat the oven to 200°C (alternatively heat a barbecue with hood to medium-high).
- Remove chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Remove chicken from the marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Drizzle with the extra olive oil and cook, breast-side down, for 5 minutes or until golden. Turn and cook for a further 5 minutes or until golden. Transfer, breast-side up, to a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer. (Alternatively, close the barbecue hood, reduce heat to medium and cook for 30-40 minutes.) Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes.
- To serve, chop the chicken into quarters. Serve with iceberg wedges drizzled with the salad cream.