500 g diced beef
1 tbs oil
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
2 onions sliced
2 tsp plain flour
1 1/2 cups stir-fry vegetables chopped
- Combine beef with bicarbonate of soda, soy sauce, garlic and Chinese five spice. Allow to stand for a few minutes to tenderise.
- Heat half the oil in a frypan, fry onions until soft and set aside.
- Heat the remainder of the oil. Brown the beef mixture in the frypan. Add vegetables, if using, and stir fry for a minute.
- Add a little flour to thicken, and add more soy sauce or water to achieve desired thickness of sauce.
- Return onions to pan and stir fry until beef and vegetables are fully cooked.
Garlic or sesame oil give a great flavour.
For lower-fat dishes, oil can be replaced with cooking spray or omitted altogether.
Use fresh or frozen stir-fry vegetables e.g. Chinese greens, mushrooms, capsicum, zucchini, baby corn, water chestnuts Serve with rice or noodles.
Credits: Best Recipes