Brandy snap twirls, to decorate (see note)
Caramel spread, to serve
Ginger biscuits, to crumble
gingerbread cake ingredients
115g (3/4 cup) plain flour
50g (1/3 cup) self-raising flour
100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
125ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
80ml (1/3 cup) milk
white chocolate cheesecake ingredients
100g butter, melted, plus extra, to grease
250g packet plain chocolate biscuits
2 tbsp hot water
1 tbsp gelatine powder
3 x 250g packet cream cheese, at room temperature chopped
250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
180g packet white chocolate, melted, cooled
chocolate ganache ingredients
200g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- To make gingerbread cake, preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Grease a 20 x 30cm (base measurement) Swiss roll pan with extra melted butter. Line base with baking paper. Combine plain and self-raising flours, brown sugar, ginger, mixed spice and bicarb in a large bowl. Stir in golden syrup, oil, milk and egg. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Set aside to cool in pan. Remove cake. Place on a clean work surface. Use a 6cm star cutter to cut 11 stars from cake.
- To make cheesecake, grease a 7.5cmdeep, 10 x 25cm (base measurement) loaf pan (see tip) with extra melted butter. Line base and sides with a double layer of baking paper. Place choc biscuits in a food processor. Process until finely crushed. Add butter. Process until combined. Press mixture over base of prepared pan. Place in fridge to set.
- Meanwhile, place hot water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle with gelatine. Stir until well combined then microwave for 10 seconds or until gelatine dissolves. Stir. Set aside for 1-2 minutes to cool. Place cream cheese, cream and caster sugar in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add white choc. Process until well combined. With motor running, gradually add gelatine mixture.
- Pour a third to a half of cheesecake mixture into loaf pan. Stand cake stars upright, against each other. Gently push stars into cheesecake mixture in a line down the centre of the pan. Carefully cover with remaining cheesecake mixture. Tap pan on bench to remove any air pockets. Place in fridge for 6 hours to set.
- Make brandy snaps
- Remove the cheesecake from the fridge and set aside in pan for 20 minutes.
- To make ganache, place dark chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High, stirring every minute, until melted and smooth. Set aside for 10 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Place cheesecake on a serving platter. Spread top and sides with ganache. Decorate with brandy snaps. Drizzle over caramel and crumble over ginger biscuits to serve.
We used a straight-sided Bakemaster Silver Anodised Loaf Pan, available online.
This is a perfect make-ahead treat. The undecorated cake can be kept in the fridge for up to a week. Make the brandy snaps a day ahead and store, unfilled, in an airtight container. Brand snaps recipe