500g dark (70%) chocolate, chopped
400g unsalted butter, chopped, softened
500g sour cream, at room temperature
1 2/3 cup (250g) self-raising flour, sifted
2 1/2 cups (250g) almond meal
100g cocoa powder, sifted
6 eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
400g caster sugar
6 cups (750g) milk chocolate chips
1/3 cup (100g) malt extract
2 x 395g cans sweetened condensed milk
4 egg whites
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
2 tbs powdered gelatine, soaked in 1/2 cup (125ml) cold water
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease of a 37cm x 26cm x 5cm roasting tray and line with 2 large sheets of baking paper (to help you lift the cake out of the pan once baked).
- Place chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water). Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat, stir through 2 tsp salt flakes and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Place remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add cooled chocolate mixture. Using a large spatula, mix until smooth. Pour into prepared dish and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean with a few moist crumbs. (The cake will feel a little soft in the centre but will set firm and fudgy.) Cool completely in pan.
- For the fudge, place all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir until chocolate has melted, then microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, for 1-2 minutes until melted and combined. Spread over cake. Chill for 3-4 hours or until fudge has set.
- For the marshmallow, place egg whites, sugar and gelatine in the heatproof bowl of a stand mixer set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until sugar has dissolved and mixture is hot. Add vanilla, place bowl in stand mixer and whisk on high for 10 minutes or until mixture has completely cooled.
- Spread marshmallow over top of cake and caramelise with a blowtorch. Chill for 2 hours or until ready to serve.
- TO MAKE A SMALLER VERSION (SERVES 12-16): Halve the quantity of each ingredient. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan with two big pieces of baking paper. Prepare the half-quantity of cake mixture according to above instructions and bake for 50-55 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer. For the ganache and marshmallow, halve the quantity of each ingredient and prepare according to above instructions.