1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
600g beef mince
1 zucchini, grated
285g jar whole piquillo peppers, drained, chopped
700g jar tomato passata
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus extra leaves, to serve
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
2 cups macaroni
1 cup grated 3 cheese blend
cheesy bechamel sauce
1/3 cup plain flour
3 cups milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup grated 3 cheese blend
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic. Cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add mince. Cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, for 6 minutes or until browned all over. Add zucchini and peppers. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until zucchini softens. Stir in passata. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in basil and oregano.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta following packet directions. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Make Cheesy bechamel sauce: Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture is bubbling. Gradually stir in milk until smooth and combined. Cook, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Whisk in egg. Stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 190C/170C fan-forced. Add 3/4 of the béchamel sauce to the macaroni. Mix well to coat. Spoon 1/2 the macaroni mixture into an 8-cup-capacity baking dish, spreading to level and compact. Top with 1/2 the mince mixture. Repeat layering. Spoon remaining béchamel over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until top is golden. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve lasagne sprinkled with extra basil leaves.