2/3 cup (60g) desiccated coconut
1 cup (70g) almond meal
1 cup (150g) plain flour
2 cups (300g) icing sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
250g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
2 cups (140g) shredded coconut
85g pkt mango jelly crystals
200ml thickened cream, lightly whipped
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease 12 holes in a friand pan.
- Place the desiccated coconut, almond meal, flour, icing sugar, and baking powder in a processor and pulse a few times to combine and remove any lumps.
- Place eggwhites in a bowl and whisk very lightly until frothy. Add the dry ingredients, lemon zest, and butter, then stir to combine. Divide among the friand holes and bake for 20 minutes or until light golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool slightly, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, process flesh of 1 mango until smooth to give about 2/3 cup. Combine jelly crystals with 2 1/2 cups (625ml) boiling water, stirring to dissolve crystals. Stir in mango pulp. Chill for 40 minutes or until jelly is the consistency of eggwhite.
- If the cakes have risen slightly, slice of the tops to give a flat surface. Dip cakes in jelly then toss in coconut. Thinly slice the remaining mango. Cut each cake in half through the centre, then fill with cream and mango slices, and serve.