1.4kg whole chicken, butterflied
1/3 cup (105g) white (shiro) miso paste
100g unsalted butter, softened
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large bunch baby (Dutch) carrots, blanched, trimmed, tops reserved
400g spaghetti (we used Woolworths Macro organic spaghetti)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place chicken on a baking tray. Combine miso and 70g butter in a bowl with two-thirds garlic. Run your fingers under the skin of the breast and thigh to loosen, being careful not to tear skin. Rub butter mixture under skin onto breast and thigh. Season.
- Place carrots around chicken and roast for 35 minutes or until juices run clear when thigh is pierced. Cook pasta in a pan of boiling salted water according to packet instructions.
- Melt remaining 30g butter in a frypan over medium heat. Cook remaining garlic, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Roughly chop carrot tops, add to pan and cook for 2 minutes or until wilted. Season with salt. Pour chicken roasting juices into pan and scrape any remaining miso on tray into pan.
- Add pasta and toss to coat. Cut the chicken into pieces and remove from bone. Serve with pasta and carrots.