1 small rye loaf (about 350g), halved lengthways
120g butter, softened
1 tbs chopped rosemary, plus 1 tbs whole rosemary leaves
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1.5kg chicken, cut into 4 pieces (or 4 large chicken thigh cutlets, skin on)
4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
1/4 small (about 600g) Japanese pumpkin, cut into 8 thin wedges
6 shallots, trimmed, halved lengthways
1/2 radicchio, leaves torn
Parsley leaves, to serve
1 1/2 tbs sherry vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and place bread cut-side up on one of the trays.
- Combine butter, chopped rosemary, and garlic in a small bowl and season. Brush butter over cut sides of bread, then brush remaining butter all over chicken. Place chicken on bread and roast for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a large plate, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 10 minutes. Reserve resting juices.
- Place bread on a chopping board and chop into 5cm pieces. Return to tray, toss to soak up garlic butter, and roast for a further 10 minutes until crisp and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine anchovies and 2 tbs olive oil in a small bowl and season with black pepper. Place pumpkin, shallots, and rosemary leaves in second roasting tray, drizzle with anchovy oil, and toss to coat. Roast for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine chicken, crisp bread, pumpkin, shallots, and radicchio on a platter and scatter with parsley. Combine vinegar, resting juices, and remaining 2 tbs oil in a small bowl and season. Drizzle half over salad and serve the rest alongside.