1.5kg whole free-range chicken
1 large brown onion, peeled and sliced into wedges
12 garlic cloves, peeled left whole
1 lemon, halved
8 chat potatoes, parboiled and chopped in half.
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 bunch of thyme (for cooking and for garnish)
12 sage leaves
500ml Massel Chicken Style Liquid Stock or water
12 cherry tomatoes
50g butter softened or ghee
ingredients | garlic mayonnaise
6-8 cooked garlic cloves from roast chicken
2 tbsp of mayonnaise
1 tbsp sour cream
pinch of sea salt
2 tbsp of roast chicken liquid
3 sage leaves
- Parcook your chat potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for approx 15 minutes, drain and cut in half when cooled. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Rinse out cavity with cold water and then pat dry skin with a paper towel. In a large (30cmx35cm) baking tray put chicken, breast side up.
- Around the chicken place par-cooked chats potatoes, sliced onion, peel whole garlic cloves, and half the lemon. In the cavity of the chicken, get half the lemon and lightly squeeze then place the piece of lemon inside the cavity. Cut in half again and in the baking tray.
- Pour over olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Add half the thyme and all the sage leaves. Add salt and pepper and pour the stock into the base of the tray.
- Cover with baking paper and then foil. Tightly press the sides of the foil around the baking dish and put into the oven for 60 minutes.
- After 60 minutes, take off foil and baking paper and discard, add tomatoes, then cook for another 20 minutes until the chicken is golden brown. Rest for 15 minutes, take off cooked thyme leaves. Add butter on top of the skin to meltdown (optional) the chicken add the fresh thyme leaves and extra sea salt and olive oil to serve.
method | garlic mayonnaise
- With a spoon, take out whole cloves of cooked garlic from the roast chicken baking tray.
- Place on a chopping board and with the side of your knife squash down to turn into a puree.
- Scoop up with the knife and place in a bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise and sour cream to the bowl of garlic, along with salt and roast chicken liquid. Stir to combine and tip into a bowl to serve. Add 1 tablespoon of roast chicken liquid and three sage leaves on top to garnish.
Credits: Best Recipes