- 2 cups (400g) dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 3 large pieces Lebanese bread, cut into 4 large triangles
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1/2 bunch silverbeet, stalks removed
- 1 cup each mint leaves & flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (80g) toasted pine nuts
- 200g good-quality, hot smoked trout or salmon, flaked
yoghurt dressing (makes approx. 296g)
1 cup (280g) natural yoghurt
1 tbs za’atar, plus extra to sprinkle
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 1/2 tsp sumac
Juice of 1/2 lemon
pomegranate dressing (makes approx. 125ml)
2 tbs pomegranate molasses
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Place chickpeas in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat, reduce to medium and simmer for 40-45 minutes until cooked. Keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place Lebanese bread on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with extra za’atar. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden and crisp.
- For the yoghurt dressing, place yoghurt, za’atar, garlic, sumac and lemon in a bowl. Season to taste and mix to combine.
- For the pomegranate dressing, place all the ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and stir to combine.
- Preheat a chargrill pan or barbecue to high. Drizzle silverbeet with extra oil, season and chargrill for 4-5 minutes until wilted and a little charred. Roughly chop and place in a bowl with chickpeas and herbs. Drizzle over pomegranate dressing, season and toss to combine.
- Place pita on a serving plate, spoon over yoghurt dressing and layer with silverbeet salad. Scatter over pine nuts and smoked trout to serve.