1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2.7kg leg of lamb, excess fat trimmed, fat scored
2 brown onions, sliced
2 red capsicum, deseeded, thickly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel Chicken Style Liquid Stock
8 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra to serve (optional)
3 fresh or dried bay leaves
400g can baby roma tomatoes
80g (1/2 cup) pitted kalamata olives
Fresh parsley leaves, to serve
Crusty bread, to serve
- Preheat oven to 130C/110C fan forced. Heat a large flameproof roasting dish over high heat. Season the lamb and cook, fat side down, for 10 minutes or until starting to turn golden. Turn and cook for a further 5 minutes. Transfer lamb to a plate.
- Drain all but 1 tbs fat from the pan. Add the onion and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the wine and simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced slightly. Add the stock.
- Return the lamb to the dish. Add the thyme and bay leaves. Cover the pan tightly with baking paper and then foil. Roast for 6 hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Increase heat to 180C/160C fan forced. Add the tomato to the pan. Roast, uncovered, for 40 mins or the lamb is golden and the liquid is reduced.
- Stir through the olives and scatter with parsley and extra thyme (if using). Serve with crusty bread.
Store half the lamb in an airtight container in the fridge overnight.