1.5 – 2 kg / 3 – 4 lb beef brisket (Note 1)
1 tbsp olive oil (or a neutral oil like vegetable, canola)
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
3/4 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 garlic cloves , minced
1/2 cup / 125 ml apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups / 375 ml ketchup
1/2 cup / 110g brown sugar , packed
2 tsp EACH black pepper, onion powder, mustard powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to taste re: spiciness)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Mix Rub ingredients. Rub all over brisket. If time permits, leave it for 30 minutes – 24 hours in the fridge, but I rarely do this.
- Combine BBQ Sauce ingredients in a slow cooker. Mix then add the brisket – squish it in if needed, like I did (see video).
- Slow cook in slow cooker for 8 hours (1.5 kg / 3 lb) to 10 hours (2 kg / 4 lb). (Note 2 for the pressure cooker and click here for oven)
- Remove brisket onto a tray.
- Pour the liquid in a slow cooker into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and reduce until it thickens to a syrup consistency (it thickens more as it cools).
- Meanwhile, drizzle brisket with oil then roast in a 200C/390F oven for 15 minutes until brown spots appear. Remove then baste generously with Sauce, then return to oven for 5 minutes. Remove and baste again, then return to oven for 5 – 10 minutes until it caramelises and looks like the photos. (See note for BBQ option)
- TO SERVE: Slice brisket thinly across the grain and serve with remaining BBQ Sauce. This is terrific served as a meal with sides or piled high onto rolls with Coleslaw as sliders. See Note 3 for more ideas.