2 garlic bulbs, halved
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 cups (500ml) tomato passata
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
4 buffalo mozzarella balls, sliced
200g thinly sliced hot salami
1 cup (250ml) apple cider vinegar
150g caster sugar
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
3 eschalots, thinly sliced
2 zucchinis, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tsp dried yeast
1/2 tsp caster sugar
5 cups (750g) tipo ‘00’ flour
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to brush
- Combine yeast, sugar, and 450ml lukewarm water in a bowl, cover, and stand for 10-15 minutes until frothy. Combine flour and 1 tbs salt flakes in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Add yeast mixture and oil, and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Transfer to a greased bowl, cover, and stand in a warm place for 2 hours or until doubled in size. Divide dough into 4 balls and place on a tray. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. (Dough can be frozen for up to 6 months.) Stand at room temperature for 1 hour before baking.
- On a lightly floured surface, work with 1 piece of dough at a time and roll out into a rough 20cm x 40cm rectangle. Transfer to a tray and brush with extra olive oil. Repeat with remaining dough. Use with your preferred toppings.
- For pickled zucchini, heat vinegar, sugar, mustard powder, and turmeric in a small saucepan over medium heat with 2 tsp salt flakes. Bring to a simmer. Place eschalot and zucchini in a non-reactive bowl and pour hot pickle mixture. Cool to room temperature, then chill until cold. Pickles can be used immediately or stored in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 4 months.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place garlic in foil and drizzle with oil. Wrap to enclose and roast for 1 hour or until garlic is soft and roasted. Squeeze garlic from the skins and combine in a bowl with the passata, oregano, parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Increase oven to 250°C. Spread sauce over pizza bases and top with sliced mozzarella and salami. Bake for 14-16 minutes until golden and bubbling. Top with pickled zucchini to serve.