60g butter, chopped
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 tbsp chopped pistachio kernels, toasted
Mascarpone, to serve
Extra honey, to serve
- Place 2 lemons in a medium saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes or until very soft. Drain. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining 2 lemons.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease and line a 6cm-deep, 20cm round cake pan.
- Place butter and 2 tbs honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until melted and smooth. Bring to a simmer. Pour over base of prepared pan. Arrange lemon slices in base of pan, slightly overlapping.
- Coarsely chop cooked lemon, removing and discarding seeds. Place chopped lemon in a food processor. Process until pulpy. Add eggs , remaining 1/3 cup honey, vanilla and oil . Process until well combined. Add baking powder , almond meal and coconut . Process until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Drizzle cake with extra honey . Sprinkle with pistachios . Serve with mascarpone